In the time it takes to watch this video, Federal government agencies will have...
But after a century of neglect, the cracks are beginning to show. Due to rapid globalization, business has changed and adapted in order to survive. By contrast, the government systems and structures that served an earlier age are still in place. In The People Factor: Strengthening America by Investing in Public Service, Linda J. Bilmes and W. Scott Gould provide a compelling business case for investing in the civil service so that it may better serve the nation. By investing $10 billion to improve recruiting, training and management of the federal workforce, the authors predict that investment will yield $300-$600 billion in productivity gains.
• Solved multiple crimes
• Supervised the safe take-offs and landings of hundreds of airplanes
• Paid food stamps to hungry citizens
• Issued a national weather forecast
• Monitored the skies for any sign of enemy attack
• Rescued struggling ships at sea
• And processed some $50 million in banking transactions.